Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Dayang Senandung

Joyah Keding, Buntal,
Kobeng, Bulat,
Joy, Mok,
Serombong, Puru,
Ook, Sepet,
Jepun, Cembung,
Pak Tam, Botet

and many more... Those are only a few Melayu nicknames I can recall. I was once being called 'Dayang Senandung' during primary school by my friends and Keli*g by my family because of my dark skin. I was born 'kulit Melayu' but too much heat and sun from sports and school activities caused my skin to darkened. Coincidentally, the classic movie 'Dayang Senandung' was being aired that same year and my schoolmates especially the boys immediately nicknamed me 'Dayang Senandung', taken to main role of a girl (played by Datuk Sarimah Ahmad) who was being cursed black until she met her prince charming, the spell broken, hence she became prettier again and lived happily ever after. Remember the tales of The Princess and The Frog Prince? It's almost the same lah!

Pity me, boys paid no interest in me, the Dayang Senandung, hi..hi.. Nevertheless, as the time went by, I grew up along with the knowledge of skincare, healthcare, cosmetics, fashion etc.that are the necessities for a woman to live in this demanding plastic world. And fortunately, my skin has returned back to its normal colour.

Since then, I have this habit of scrutinizing the children's faces and wondering what they will look like once they entered adulthood. I dislike parents or those who kinda like to differentiate children by their looks, skin and all. Come on! They are your children, the product of love between two loving couple, how can you deny the children's right to be loved equally and unconditionally no matter what they are? Although every child is different, they should be treated with the profoundest tenderness and respect, at any rate...

Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody's searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs
A lonely place to be and so I learned to depend on me

I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow
If I fail, if I succeed, at least I lived as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity

Because the greatest love of all is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all inside of me
The greatest love of all is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all

And if by chance that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love...


There is no greater gift than kids!






* Perempuan bertudung hijau itu bukan penulis, harap maklum...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gambar masa kecil tu cantik. yg dah tua tu cuma kain tudung yang cantik.beli kat mana? kalau ada lagi saya nak beli sepuluh nak bagi kat macik yg suka tudung macam tu.boleh gitu?

toona said...

puteri senandung tu hitam ke? jadi awak pun hitam jugalah? sebab tu orang sama kan awak dgn puteri hitam tu.hitam pun tak apa janji hati tu tak hitam dah la.betul tak?

goboklama said...

Alhamdulillah...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails